Thursday, December 28, 2006

Saddam's Fate

 
 
It's looking increasingly likely that Saddam's death sentence will be carried out after all - something I was personally not expecting. I must admit that I have mixed feelings about it. Saddam's crimes are undeniable but will his execution help stabilize the situation in Iraq? I suspect that it will make it even more difficult than it is now to reconcile the Sunnis and keep Iraq together.
On the other hand, I can't say I have mixed feelings about the impending fall of Mogadishu to Government and Ethiopian forces. It appears that the establishment of yet another terrorist paradise has been avoided, and with little bloodshed. I just hope that the Ethiopians leave as soon as the job is done and that the Government manages to eventually establish some form of order in the south.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

frontpage hit counter